Metro Beekeepers Association (MBA) is an organization of hobbyist, side liner and commercial beekeepers that meet once monthly for learning, fellowship, food and fun. Serving Tarrant and surrounding counties in North Texas. Meetings are held the 2nd Monday of each month. Guests are welcome. MBA is focused on educating the general public and MBA members on the importance of honey bees and beekeeping techniques.
Announcing the First Annual Metroplex Beekeeping Conference
Trinity Valley Beekeepers Association of Dallas and Metro Beekeepers Association of Fort Worth are joining forces to conduct the First Annual Metroplex wide beekeeping conference. Notable speakers from across the State of Texas and beyond will be sharing their expertise in areas ranging from basic beginning topics such as how to acquire a hive of bees to advanced mating biology and instrumental insemination.
*Passionate beekeepers & authors Les Crowder and Michael Bush will be conducting multiple talks ranging from Top Bar Hive to pest control management options.
**Click on the Registration Link below for more information**
Registration Link: www.dfwbeekeeping.org
When: Saturday October 27, 2018
September 2018 Meeting Information (9/10/2018 @6:30PM):
Guest Speaker: Jason Smith
Topic of Discussion: General Beekeeping - Best Practices
Topic: Jason will share his experience with honeybees and common mistakes and thoughtful and well timed information on how to help bees survive through winter and into spring. He will share “best practices” on what and when human intervention is both necessary and important for honeybee survival
Jason's Bio: Jason Smith is a master beekeeper and sideliner. He has been involved with bees for about 7 years and currently maintains over 100 beehives. A recipient of MBA’s highest award, the Beekeeper of the Year, Jason is active in social media continuing to share his knowledge of bees with the world. He is considered the most experienced honeybee re-location expert of “cut-outs” and “trap-outs” in the DFW area.
Club and Beekeeping Class Dues, Due:
Raffle Tickets: Proceeds benefit the Youth Scholarship Program.
• Bring a snack or drink for break time and receive ONE raffle ticket.
• Bring an item for the raffle and receive FIVE raffle tickets. Raffle items are not limited to beekeeping items.
• Raffle tickets are also available for purchase: ONE ticket for $1.00 or SIX tickets for $5.00.
** Sign up for the 2018 Beekeeping Class- Beekeeping Class begins at 5:30 p.m. The 11 class program is January-November. Class is $125 and includes a book. Please contact Stan Key (lead instructor) for information.
1. Students in course must be members of the MBA ($20/year for you & your immediate family).
2. The focus of the course is education about bee keeping.
3. Course costs are $125, paid in cash or check. This cost is per person.
4. We meet the SECOND Monday of each month (January-November) from 5:30p to 6:25p at the Southside Preservation Hall in Fort Worth (1519 Lipscomb St Forth Worth, Texas 76104).
5. Instructional focus includes: bee biology and behaviors, beekeeping equipment options, hands on opportunities to work in a bee yard, and the best practices in beekeeping. In addition, we will look at many pictures and see ways to effectively manage bees. There will be ample opportunities to ask questions and observe experienced beekeepers in action.
Guests are welcome to attend. Members are asked to occasionally bring a snack or drink to share during break. You can browse the bee-related vendors during the break. Earn One raffle ticket when you bring a food/snack/drink item to share during the meeting break. Earn Five raffle tickets if you donate a raffle item. You can also purchase raffle tickets One ticket for $1 or Six ticket for $5. Raffle ticket sales help support the youth scholarship program. Some restrictions apply to the donated raffle item. Hope to see you there!!