Metro Beekeepers Association (MBA) is an organization of hobbyist, side liner and commercial beekeepers that meet once monthly for learning, fellowship, food and fun. Serving Tarrant and surrounding counties in North Texas. Meetings are held the 2nd Monday of each month. Guests are welcome. MBA is focused on educating the general public and MBA members on the importance of honey bees and beekeeping techniques.
Announcing the First Annual Metroplex Beekeeping Conference
Trinity Valley Beekeepers Association of Dallas and Metro Beekeepers Association of Fort Worth are joining forces to conduct the First Annual Metroplex wide beekeeping conference. Notable speakers from across the State of Texas and beyond will be sharing their expertise in areas ranging from basic beginning topics such as how to acquire a hive of bees to advanced mating biology and instrumental insemination.
*Passionate beekeepers & authors Les Crowder and Michael Bush will be conducting multiple talks ranging from Top Bar Hive to pest control management options.
**Click on the Registration Link below for more information**
Registration Link: www.dfwbeekeeping.org
When: Saturday October 27, 2018
August 2018 Meeting Information (8/13/2018 @6:30PM):
Guest Speaker: Roger Farr
Topic of Discussion: Nicot Queen Rearing System for Small-Scale Beekeepers
Topic: Nicot Queen Rearing System for small-scale beekeeping operations. Roger will brief us on the Nicot system which allows a beekeeper to raise up to 110 queens in a batch without grafting. Roger, a Texas Master Beekeeper and TBA Board member, will share with us how he raises queens and how you can raise them as well for an investment of less than $100. No, he's not a spokesperson, nor does he receive any remuneration; he simply is sharing his solution to a need which many small-scale beekeepers have. Come with your queen rearing and queen introduction questions for a lively discussion.
Roger's Bio: Roger is a Texas Master Beekeeper, and both he and Sue are Texas Master Gardeners; these two interests match well to be successful in beekeeping. Both Roger and his wife Sue enjoy sharing their love of beekeeping through teaching NewBee classes, mentoring new beekeepers, and speaking on bees, pollination, and pollinator-friendly plants. Roger and Sue have grown their apiary to seven hives, which produce honey to share and sell, and nucleus hives to supply other new beekeepers. They are content to be hobby beekeepers who enjoy bees and beekeepers.
Club and Beekeeping Class Dues, Due:
Raffle Tickets: Proceeds benefit the Youth Scholarship Program.
• Bring a snack or drink for break time and receive ONE raffle ticket.
• Bring an item for the raffle and receive FIVE raffle tickets. Raffle items are not limited to beekeeping items.
• Raffle tickets are also available for purchase: ONE ticket for $1.00 or SIX tickets for $5.00.
** Sign up for the 2018 Beekeeping Class- Beekeeping Class begins at 5:30 p.m. The 11 class program is January-November. Class is $125 and includes a book. Please contact Stan Key (lead instructor) for information.
1. Students in course must be members of the MBA ($20/year for you & your immediate family).
2. The focus of the course is education about bee keeping.
3. Course costs are $125, paid in cash or check. This cost is per person.
4. We meet the SECOND Monday of each month (January-November) from 5:30p to 6:25p at the Southside Preservation Hall in Fort Worth (1519 Lipscomb St Forth Worth, Texas 76104).
5. Instructional focus includes: bee biology and behaviors, beekeeping equipment options, hands on opportunities to work in a bee yard, and the best practices in beekeeping. In addition, we will look at many pictures and see ways to effectively manage bees. There will be ample opportunities to ask questions and observe experienced beekeepers in action.
Guests are welcome to attend. Members are asked to occasionally bring a snack or drink to share during break. You can browse the bee-related vendors during the break. Earn One raffle ticket when you bring a food/snack/drink item to share during the meeting break. Earn Five raffle tickets if you donate a raffle item. You can also purchase raffle tickets One ticket for $1 or Six ticket for $5. Raffle ticket sales help support the youth scholarship program. Some restrictions apply to the donated raffle item. Hope to see you there!!