Metro Beekeepers Association (MBA) is an organization of hobbyist, side liner and commercial beekeepers that meet once monthly for learning, fellowship, food and fun. Serving Tarrant and surrounding counties in North Texas. Meetings are held the 2nd Monday of each month. Guests are welcome. MBA is focused on educating the general public and MBA members on the importance of honey bees and beekeeping techniques.
July 2018 Meeting Information (7/9/2018 @6:30PM):
Guest Speaker: Ryan Giesecke
Topic of Discussion: Preparing for Winter and Winter Hive Management
This presentation covers how to get your hive through summer and fall well-prepared for winter. This will discuss protecting against robbing, supplemental feeding, what to expect of food store requirements for winter, understanding the differing difficulties provided by a cold winter vs a warm winter, fall combines vs winter losses, emergency winter feeding, general winter management, screened vs solid bottom boards, pros and cons of "winterizing" hives, and more.
Ryan's Bio: Ryan maintains several beeyards in the Dallas area and owns Honey Bee Relocation Services, a small company specializing in live bee removal. He runs primarily foundationless hives and favors naturalistic management practices wherever feasible. Ryan is president of Trinity Valley Beekeepers Association, stays active on committees with both Texas Beekeepers Association and Lone Star Beekeepers Association, is a Texas Master Beekeeper, has contributed articles to the TBA Journal and SaveTexasBeekeepers.org.
Club and Beekeeping Class Dues, Due:
Raffle Tickets: Proceeds benefit the Youth Scholarship Program.
• Bring a snack or drink for break time and receive ONE raffle ticket.
• Bring an item for the raffle and receive FIVE raffle tickets. Raffle items are not limited to beekeeping items.
• Raffle tickets are also available for purchase: ONE ticket for $1.00 or SIX tickets for $5.00.
** Sign up for the 2018 Beekeeping Class- Beekeeping Class begins at 5:30 p.m. The 11 class program is January-November. Class is $125 and includes a book. Please contact Stan Key (lead instructor) for information.
1. Students in course must be members of the MBA ($20/year for you & your immediate family).
2. The focus of the course is education about bee keeping.
3. Course costs are $125, paid in cash or check. This cost is per person.
4. We meet the SECOND Monday of each month (January-November) from 5:30p to 6:25p at the Southside Preservation Hall in Fort Worth (1519 Lipscomb St Forth Worth, Texas 76104).
5. Instructional focus includes: bee biology and behaviors, beekeeping equipment options, hands on opportunities to work in a bee yard, and the best practices in beekeeping. In addition, we will look at many pictures and see ways to effectively manage bees. There will be ample opportunities to ask questions and observe experienced beekeepers in action.
Guests are welcome to attend. Members are asked to occasionally bring a snack or drink to share during break. You can browse the bee-related vendors during the break. Earn One raffle ticket when you bring a food/snack/drink item to share during the meeting break. Earn Five raffle tickets if you donate a raffle item. You can also purchase raffle tickets One ticket for $1 or Six ticket for $5. Raffle ticket sales help support the youth scholarship program. Some restrictions apply to the donated raffle item. Hope to see you there!! Post Your Photos! Post photos on the Photo Gallery Page or on the MBA Facebook Group page and they just might be highlighted during the slideshows at our monthly general meetings. If you haven't "joined" our MBA Facebook Group, do it today, it's a great way to ask questions to fellow beekeepers and more. Photo Gallery - Lots of new photos added MBA Members only can now submit photos. All photos will be reviewed and membership verified prior to posting. View this new feature and submit your photos to be added.